Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

They are Watching. What Do They See?

I just hear a sermon this last Sunday night on Revelations 3.  It was covering the church at Laodicea.  I had to think how that is really our churches in America.  The city was located in a the major hub for trade and industry.  Fashion,money changing (early banks) and health were highly regarded in the area.  Even their medicines were cutting edge.  Made me think of the City of Vanity from Pilgrims Progress.

They had placed so much of their confidence and faith in the things around them.  I had to wonder how much I do that.  Do I count on my abilities to buy nice clothing or even the security of money in the bank?  Am I really show my children what is important about this time on earth.

Of course, I like to dress nice and have the security of that magic amount. in our bank account to cover three months of bills...just in case!  These are my earthly comforts and quite frankly can be my safety net in my heart.  Is that a formula I can count on?  Are things going to work out because I calculated what my perfect comfort zone is?  Wow!  I bet God has a tracker beam on my idol and has placed a spiritual bulls eye right on it!!

The passage goes on to a pretty famous verse in Revelations 3:15-16  "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, I would that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

Have you ever drunk lukewarm water.  Not yummy or refreshing.  The people of Laodicea knew what the messenger was saying.  Geographically speaking, there were two aqua ducts that merged.  One came from the North and the other one from the South.  One had cold refreshing water great for drinking water and the other had what we would understand as a sulfur springs(Hot bubbly water).  When both of the waters arrived deep into Laodicea,  they were mixed and seemed neither good for drink or other uses.  So it was with them and God takes it seriously.  So did I that night!

It just has me thinking.  Do I really want to place my trust in God and what He can accomplish in time, money, relationships, and even my thought processes?  Or am I placing them in things and money like this church in Laodicea?  Here is my plan to find out the temperature of my heart for Christ.

  • How do I respond to having to deny getting a sweater that looks so darling?  Is that imortant in light of eternity or better yet, is it better for my girls to see my attitude of letting it go and still be happy.  I can appreciate something and not possess it. After all, I have eternity!
  • How about when my hubby is out of work or between jobs.  Do I worry?  Yes...Can I do something better than that and much more effective and useful.  Yes!!  I can give my cares to the Lord in prayer and be an example of one who puts my trust in Him.  How would it impact my children to see me in a joy, unaltered by circumstances?  Would they see Him as faithful, true and the only source of true joy?  Would not this be the BEST I could give my kids?
  • How about when someone is speaking coldly or indifferent?  Do I plan an attack?  Oh, the flesh loves to war.  Can I be of any better use than that?  Have I placed my earthly mission above my heavenly mission?
These are just some things that spin about in this puny brain of mine.  The word of God can effectively do this and more in the thinking of such a wretch.  Making me aware that it is not just about me.  It is my relationship to Christ and the testimony of that love for Him.  Grace, Mercy and Joy!  We have this in abundance and I probably don't share it like I should.

The Pastor said at some point, it would be far better that a small group of people on fire for the Lord represent Christ than to have a bunch of people lukewarm saying they follow Him.  This just made such an impression on me.  I want Hot not Cold nor Lukewarm lest I be spit out...What if believers were just Hot for Him.  We all know it...It would be an amazing testimony about God in our lives.  What would an unbelieving world say if we were Christ-like in all respects.  Willing to love when wronged, are not glutinous towards the things of the world, helped, shared, cared, prayed for, even suffer for other believers in this world.

John 13:34-35 says 34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Are we so different?  Do we need to be?  We are here but for a pencil dot on the time line of eternity. Study the word and know it that you can live it out.  This is my prayer for me.  I pray it will be for everyone who loves our dear God.

They are watching... our children, extended family, our neighbors and co-workers.  They are watching.  What do they see?

No comments:

Post a Comment